Today’s music video is for the song “No U Aint” – the Lakers 2010 Finals Anthem Remix (produced by K.K.O.F.)
INSIGHT INTO A SONG:
After I released the original version of “No U Aint” (which can be seen HERE), I knew I wanted to make a Lakers’ version of the song. At the time, they had just won the Western conference playoffs and were now heading into the finals against the Boston Celtics. Furthermore, the “No U Aint” shirt creators had made 2 versions of the shirt that utilized the Lakers’ uniform colors, gold and purple, so I thought it’d be a good way to give the Lakers AND the shirts some more promo.
Unfortunately for me, there was just one SMALL problem: I have never really been much of a sports watcher. Aside from the big names on the team (Kobe Bryant, Ron Artest, Derek Fisher), I didn’t really know much about the player or the team to write as good of a song as I could were I a bit more knowledgeable about them.
So, I did what any guy in my situation would do – RESEARCH!
I went on Wikipedia, did a few read-ups on the teams and some of its players (as well as on Boston’s team and players), and started formulating ideas about what I could say in the song.
Since the song is a remixing of the original “No U Aint,” I had to keep the general idea of telling an opposite entity that they could NOT do something – in this case, the Boston Celtics. I go to town on them about some of their players not being as good as they think, their team not being as good as they think, and their chances of winning this year’s championship not being as… well, you get the idea.
When I started writing the song, though, another problem occurred: the Lakers were actually DOWN in the finals series by a game, and their chances of actually winning it this year was looking slimmer and slimmer.
Despite this, I released the song to iTunes, and prayed to God that the Lakers would step their game back up so (a) they’d win, and (b) I’d be able to make song sales a LOT easier. And they did, so… YAY!
Some Interesting Song Tidbits:
1. Prior to making this song, I had NO idea who most of the players were. To get a better understanding of what I was writing about, I started watching games. The more I watched, the more I actually got into watching them. Who knows, I might actually start following the sport next year!
2. There’s a couple of lines in the song where it may sound like I’m dissing the Lakers, but I’m not. I say “Winning titles back to back (no u aint, no u aint) and you did it without Shaq? (no u aint, no u aint).” The first line is actually doubting the ability of the Celtics to win, while the second line is actually meant to be a dig at Shaq, who once said the Lakers couldn’t win a championship without him.
3. Whereas the original version of “No U Aint” took me 15-20 minutes to write for the verses, this version took me almost 2 days.
INSIGHT INTO A VIDEO SHOOT:
During one of the games, I went to spend time with the rest of the “No U Aint” shirt crew (i.e. my peeps from the KJLH Mixtdown show on 102. 3 FM – listen to it each Saturday, people!). My friend Joe brought along a camera and we filmed them wearing/holding up the shirts and saying “NO U AINT” a bunch of times into the camera.
I later decided to use this footage, along with footage from the first “No U Aint” video, for the remix version. In addition, I found clips of game 7 on YouTube, as well as footage of Kobe Bryant and Ron Artest in post-game interviews, to put into the mix as well.
That’s pretty much it.
Some Interesting Video Shoot Tidbits
1. The guy wearing the black & red “No U Aint” shirt was actually rooting for the Celtics 😦
2. The woman in the beginning of the video is YoYo, a hip-hop artist who was on Ice Cube’s song “Don’t Play With My YoYo” in the 90s.
3. The girl sitting down who’s wearing the purple shirt with gold “No U Aint” letters is the same girl that shot the footage for the opening of the first “No U Aint” video on her phone. She had actually taken a shot of herself in that footage but I cut it out because I didn’t know if she’d want me to use her image in the video. At the shoot for this one I asked her if she would have been cool with it and she said “of course!” So now, I put her in this video 🙂
That’s all for now – download the song and support your 2010 world champs!
A.P.T.’s new album now available for download at http://tinyurl.com/aptstrikesback
Featuring “The Betty White Song (I’m Makin’ Moves),” “No Memories”
and the soon-to-be #1 summer anthem, “NO U AINT!” For track listing, click HERE!