This week’s music video is for the song “Fly Chick” (produced by Hi-Fly), from “The A.P.T. LP!”
INSIGHT INTO A SONG:
I was looking up beats one day and came across this beat, produced by Hi-Fly. The beat was called “The Beautiful One,” and, based on the title of the beat, I started freestyling a song scenario where I was talking about a girl.
When I got to the chorus, the words that came out were: “My one and only fly chick/uh huh, she got the keys to the new whip… my one and only fly chick, my one ride or die chick, always by my side, yeah!”
The chorus was really catchy to me, but the last part – “always by my side” – helped me to invision what the whole song should be about. Namely, a girl that’s always been there for a guy since before he got famous.
I record all my freestyles, and the words I had said were pretty close to the ones I was going to use. However, I somehow managed to accidentaly record over the freestyle! Needless to say, I was pissed off. Because the song was erased, I had to go back and actually write the verses. Good thing I still remembered the chorus!
Writing the song wasn’t really that hard, though. All I had to do was think back on my own dating experiences, specifically to those girls I dated that didn’t mind me not having a lot of money, or wanting to see me even when I lived at home with my mom, or didn’t have the best job in the world… the point is, these girls were willing to go out with me simply because of my charming personality (and, hopefully, my stunningly good looks). Although I haven’t dated that many people, there were a few out of the ones I dated who had the traits I talk about in the song, and I figured guys who currently have girlfriends sticking with them through the tough times would be able to relate.
Some Interesting Song Tidbits:
1. This is one of those songs that doesn’t have a regular flow to it. It has a flow, but a lot of the words run into each other at times, and there are a lot of pauses. This is actually how I freestyled the original one, and for some reason this flow just seemed to go well with this beat. I’m sure I could have done the song a bunch of different ways…
2. My favorite line in the song: “Did I mention that the girl can cook? She cooks Japanese, Chinese, maybe even Siamese…” I just thought that sounded funny!
3. Like I said, most of the stuff in the song is based on a few women I dated. I did date a girl who would come see me regularly when I lived with my mom who could also cook oriental food; I dated another girl who would be willing to drop whatever she was doing to see me (yet still managed to get her school work done); yet and still, there are girls who I haven’t dated but have made me feel extra-special in our friendship (not in that way, people!). Ultimately, the goal is always to take those emotions and try to make them relate to others!
INSIGHT INTO A VIDEO SHOOT:
This video is bittersweet, as it is the last video I shot in Atlanta before moving to Washington D.C.!
Since this song is about me giving praises to my “one and only fly chick,” I wanted to have a girl in the video. My original vision for the song was to film me and a girl going around town spending time with each other. As you may know, though, getting people to help me out with these things can be a biaaaaaatch!
However, I figured I could try and ask for some help. My friend Jessi, who I went to Hampton University with, also does music and is constantly filming herself doing random things and placing them on YouTube. Since she was already doing these types of things, I shot her an email and asked her if she’d like to be in one of my videos.
Imagine my surprise when she said “Yes!”
Of course, this was about a month ago. She told me she’d send some footage within a week. 2 weeks later… LoL. Ah well, I had some other videos to shoot, but she finally sent me some footage that she shot from her MAC computer (and I am insanely jealous that she has a MAC!).
Once I had her part, I had to figure out how I was going to do mine. The scenario I had set up was that I was on the road touring, but had taken time out to send my girlfriend a song called “Fly Chick,” which she then made a video of herself dancing to, along with shots of her doing other stuff around her house. I had to figure out how I wanted to show myself as if I was on tour.
My first idea was to film myself singing the song while riding a bus around Atlanta. But, anyone who lives in Atlanta knows that a touring musician who is popular is NOT catching a MARTA train around ATL, and nobody would believe I was using it as a tour bus!
After much thought, I decided I could film it at the Hartfield National Airport, located at the end of the southern trainline in Atlanta. I could act as though I had a few hours before my flight took off, so I decide to use my laptop to check my email, and – lo and behold – my girlfriend sent a video to me as a “thank you” for the song!
Pretty simple concept. All I did was go down to the airport, film myself walking around singing the song, then film myself on my laptop. To my surprise, though, I didn’t even need my laptop. It turns out, the Airport supplies pay-per-minute computers with internet access. So, rather than pull my laptop out the bag, I simply filmed myself “using” one of their computers (at an angle where you couldn’t see the screen so that I didn’t have to actually use the computer, and have to pay $10 for something I didn’t really need to use. It’s called “creative filming,” people!)
I didn’t have time to edit the video until Saturday due to the time I spent trying to unload my apartment and move. I thought it might be an easy video to edit – WRONG AS USUAL! Between me catching a bus to Richmond to visit my Mom, then catching another bus to D.C., eating, trying to find a place to live AND finally getting back to my brother’s house, the video almost didn’t even make it up on YouTube Sunday. But, like I said, I’m dedicated, and got it up on the site with 20 minutes left to go!
Some Interesting Video Tidbits:
1. My friend shot her footage on a MAC, and her colors were – no pun intended – imMACulate. I had to add a bit of color boost to my footage so that it would match up with her color scheme.
2. Yes, I actually walked around the airport mouthing the words to my song. And yes, people were looking at me funny while I did it. But what do I care??
3. Incidentally, the song was playing through the headphone set around my neck. It actually played the song pretty loudly, and I was surprised no one walking near me said anything!
4. I actually brought two suitcases with me to the airport. I was going to use the smaller one as my carry luggage, and use the bigger one to sit my camera on for certain shots. When it came time for me to sit at the internet terminal, I stacked the small suitcase onto the bigger one so I could get a good angle.
5. Edit time for the video: eh, I don’t really know. I did a lot of moving around this weekend – if I had to guess, though, I’d say about 6 or 7 hours.
That’s all for now – enjoy the video and I’ll see ya next week!